31 Dec A Cherry Sake Cocktail recipe to help you ring in the New Year!
Start your New Year off with the a Cherry Sake Cocktail recipe or the traditional Japanese herbal sake O-toso.
Cherry Sake Cocktail Recipe
- 2 small handfuls frozen dark sweet cherries, thawed (about 2/3 cup)
- 4 shots of Jozen sake (about ¾ cup)
- ginger ale
- a couple of drops of red food coloring (optional)
How to make it:
- Place the cherries into two tall glasses
- Muddle them at the bottom of each glass using the back of a wooden spoon
- Add plenty of ice
- Add 2 shots of sake in each glass and fill to the top with ginger ale
- For extra color, add 1-2 drops of red food coloring before serving
Preparation time: 3 minutes. Recipe & Photo from Girl Versus Dough.
Herbal Sake O-toso
Many Japanese begin the New Year with a herbal sake called “O-toso.” It is specially prepared by steeping sake in a mixture of herbs for several hours. We drink it with family in ceremonial fashion first thing on January 1st to ward off sickness for the year ahead, and invite peace within the household.